Saturday 13 March 2010

Rude Awakenings

Why is it that some people think it is perfectly reasonable to phone at 7.30 am on a Saturday morning. The whole house was rudely awoken by said phone call, which was not a matter of life or death merely a boring unimportant work phone call. I so look forward to my little sleep in on a Saturday morning. You see, I'm not really a morning person, I'm more of a late night sort of a girl and ideally I wouldn't wake until at least 8am given the choice - but sadly I don't have that choice. Anyway moan over, at least it has given me the chance to update my blog, so every cloud and all that.

Been another busy week, and quiet stressy at times. We have a couple of issues on-going at the moment, one work issue and one family issue. Both seem to be taking up a lot of my time and causing a lot of stress and worry. I find that stress just seems to zap all my creative energy and I find it hard to concentrate on my crafty projects.

On Tuesday the work issue seemed to take up a large portion of my day so by teatime I was feeling very stressed indeed. I decided to sit down and do a jigsaw puzzle to take my mind off of things. I'm not a big jigsaw puzzler to be honest but there is something quite therapeutic about fitting those little pieces together. I only attempted a 250 piece kids puzzle but it did the trick and amazingly I felt less stressed afterwards. Here's is my kids map of the world...



]

I have had a good week searching in the charity shops, went out on Monday but didn't find a single thing to buy (always disappointing) but on Tuesday I found these lovely little finds..




A little green glass dish, perfect for buttons or bits




This very sweet little sauce boat, it has a little fuscia on it. I also got some old buttons to add to my tin.
On Thursday I popped into my local charity shop and found these


I call them fruit spoons and they are perfect for puddings. They had never been used so I quickly grabbed them and bought them home.



I love this little glass jug, I don't know if its old or not but it has an art deco feel to it and it looks lovely along side all of my other jugs. I also found a hand made large glass bowl for £4, which although modern will be perfect as a salad bowl.
The cupcakes turned out really well, it was a bit of a strange way of making them but they tasted great. We will definitely make them again. Here are some of the little chocolate beauties...

They didn't hang around for long. Alex wanted to do some cooking when he got in from school on Friday so we made some shortbread biscuits. I was planning on making a traditional shortbread in a round tin to then cut into triangles but Alex had a better idea.



We made hearts, circles, bats, one witch, a couple of rabbits and an apple. Lets just say I have a lot of biscuit cutters!

On Friday I had to pop to the local music shop to buy Daisy some more recorder music. A few shops down from the music shop is a lovely little art shop which sell prints, does framing and sell lots of little handmade goodies. I managed to get these little ceramic buttons in there. Aren't they sweet?

I also bought this little picture for our bedroom. It isn't what I would normally go for but I just loved the contrasting colours and I loved the actual picture too.


The picture is an actual postcard and it has all been cut out. Apparently the chap who designs these postcards is famous for this type of work. Not sure who he is or what this cutting out work is called (is it a type of fret work?). Anyway P gave it the thumbs up, which is always the first hurdle that needs to be overcome. The picture is of a mummy being kissed by her little boy, well that's how I see it ( I suppose it could be a midget and his lover lol)

A picture of my union jack cross stitch below. I have managed to do some this week and spent a bit of time yesterday evening working on it. I can't wait until its all finished and is turned into a little cushion. I need to find some fabric for the backing. I have only got the blue triangle left to do and that will be a whole quarter finished, I finished the other white section last night.



Off for an early Mothers Day lunch today with my in-laws which will be nice. We are just going to a little tea shop which sell the most fantastic sandwiches and cakes. It is like taking a step back in time when you go through the door. My sister-in-law is coming also and she has eaten out on Thursday, Friday and is going out tonight too, this is why we have chosen the teashop for lunch as she only wants something light to eat!
Mothers day tomorrow, maybe I will get my lie in then. Have a great weekend whatever you get up to.
Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment